I attended the highest High Mass of my life this morning... beautiful and mournful. The Abbey's organist has some renown, and plays the excellent pipe organ with great touch and skill. There were about 70 people attending, by far the largest congregation we have seen here.I was struck at the peacefulness of the fixed liturgy in Latin, and the extreme contrast to the Pilgrims! (It was, after all, such elaborate ceremony at which they took umbrage.) The Abbey prides itself on the study and preservation of historic liturgies, and this reminded me of what I have read about from the late Middle Ages, complete with only the priest receiving both the bread and cup.
The day is glorious; so far our British weather has been better than that in Plymouth. On now to get more potting soil and return to our "cloister."

This place sounds facinating! If I were ever to get to England, the Farnborough Abbey would be on my list. Hmmm. Isn't Farnborough the location of the famous UK aerodrome that hosts the annual international aircraft show? That's also on my list.
ReplyDeleteMac
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh such a nice story oh excuse me, blog.! Sounds like you're having a great time, did receive your text. Enjoy -- have a chant on me!
ReplyDelete